ALL THE GOLF NEWS THAT'S FIT TO PRINT...AND A CONSIDERABLE AMOUNT THAT'S NOT

Welcome to The Hosel Rocket, a quasi-definitive and largely unauthorized source of golf information. Any resemblance of the content found on this site to actual journalism, however unlikely, should be considered purely accidental.

2.13.2010

Reading The Greens

Good friends, good books and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life.
~Mark Twain
Always read something that'll make you look good if you die in the middle of it.
~P.J. O'Rourke

A round of golf at LCCC offers a veritable weath of intellectual stimulation. Whether the topic is business (Gil: "If I were you, I'd load up on Zale!"), fashion (Dray: "You like this shirt? I've had it since 1978"), romance (Tim: "So I told her, look, if you're going to go out with me, you need to wash my car"), or golf itself (Tom: "I'm going back to the belly putter; do you want to know why?"), the quality of the golf is often secondary to the quality of the conversation.

On rare occassions, the conversation can actually turn to more intelligent pursuits such the history of golf, its players, and those who chronicle our great game. As a periodic feature, The Hosel Rocket is pleased to publish recommendations on exceptional books as suggested by its readers. The first such feature is Two Years in St. Andrews: At Home on The 18th Hole, written by George Peper. For a review and ordering information on Amazon.com, click here. Whether you've been to St. Andrews as I have or hope to go some day, I can guarantee that you will find this to be an exceptional book.

Good reading.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I 2nd the comment regarding the St. Andrews book...in fact the Caddy friend of George named Gordon Murray mentioned in the book, caddied for me and my brother when I kicked his ass at KingsBarns that blustery day in May 2006.
Warmest Regards,
Chris Wenning